Tuesday, July 23, 2019

George Fox at war against James Naylor

But James Nayler and some of them could not stay the meeting but kept on their hats when I prayed. And they were the first that gave that bad example amongst Friends. So after I had been warring with the world, now there was a wicked spirit risen up amongst Friends to war against.

Source: G.F. Journal (Nickalls edition) pg. 268. Cambridge. 1952 [1656]


Larger passage which includes the above quote with different context.

From thence we came through the Countries to Exeter, where many Friends were in Prison; and amongst the rest James Nayler. For a little before the Time, that we were set at Liberty, James run out into Imaginations, and a Company with him; and they raised up a great Darkness in the Nation. And he came to Bristol, and made a Disturbance there: And from thence he was coming to Lanceston, to see me; but was stopt by the Way and Imprisoned at Exeter. As were also several others, that were coming to see me; one of whom, an honest, tender Man, died in Prison there : whose Blood lieth on the Heads of his Persecutors.

That Night, that we came to Exeter, I spake with James Nayler: for I saw, he was out, and wrong; and so was his Company. The next day, being the First day of the Week, we went to the Prison, to vi-the Prisoners ; and had a Meeting with them in the Prison: but James Nayler, and some of them could not stay the Meeting. There came a Corporal of Horse into the Meeting, and was Convinced and remained a very good Friend. The next day I spake to James Nayler again ; and he flighted, what I said, and was dark , and much out : yet he would have come, and kissed me. But I said, 'Since he had turned against the Power of God , I could not receive his shew of Kindness': So the Lord God moved me to slight him , and to set the Power of God over him. So after I had been warring with the World, there was now a wicked Spirit risen up amongst Friends to War against : and I admonished him and his Company. And when he was come to London, his Resisting the Power of God in me, and the Truth that was declared to him by me , became one of his greatest Burdens. But he came to fee his Out-going, and to Condemn it ; and after some Time he returned to Truth again : as in the printed Relation of his Re pentance, Condemnation and Recovery may be more fully seen.

Source: Journal of G.F. 1709 edition, Part 1, pg. 374. [1656]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ministers bring people off formality.

Pr. Here he ſaith, We do utterly deny all their ways and doćtrines who exclude all teachings of men. See page 5. Anſ. Contrary to the ...